I want to have a portable way to store my passwords and key pairs. While I know that this already exists e.g. as Apps for iOS or Android and counterparts for OS X or Windows which can sync and whatnot.
I do not want any of that. I want a simple, portable and open tool. I think KeePass is good point to start off, but I wanted some more opinions, so here are some points that I'd like the tool to support:
- Preferrably on a very tiny USB-device that I can carry around with my keychain, so it has to be robust against physical influences
- Runnable on most environments, OS X and Windows definitely required
- Not needing to install any programs on the host machine
- I want to be able to choose how I secure the passwords. KeePass has very nice features in this field
- (This is the part where I'm stuck) The storage needs some way of ensuring the host machine doesn't get my passwords when I'm accessing it. I know this will not be absolutely sure, but at least I'd like some way of feeling somehow secure
- I want to be able to store passwords and files (like keys)
Is there a system that supports all that? I know I would be off easier by just using already existing apps, but I'm really not comfortable entering ALL my passwords in one single location without knowing exactly how they are handled (what algorithm is used, where are they stored, how are they stored, what language is used, how can I reacquire them,...)
A couple of thoughts that came to my mind:
- Using KeePass as main database. Also add portable versions of the program for Windows and OS X on the device itself
- Encrypt the database using keepass and use a Passphrase to decrypt it
- A problem here is: what if the host is keylogged? Is there a way to prevent basic keylogging when entering the passphrase? What I'm thinking are gestures, like some of the Android Lockscreens provide. Is there a system that provides this? I find a passphrase alone to not be very secure, or am I wrong in that? How can I best protect the database?
So, maybe some of you have a hint that my current thoughts are correct, or where I should inquire more on such matters, I'd really appreciate it.