We were discussing to implement single on in our web application,right now after analyzing we came to know that the following were the advantages of single sign on authentication. In the words of Shwetha on the Cymfony System Testing blog:
- Users select stronger passwords, since the need for multiple passwords and change synchronization is avoided.
- Inactivity timeout and attempt thresholds are applied uniformly closer to user points of entry.
- It improves the effectiveness/timeliness of disabling all network/computer accounts for terminated users.
- It improves an administrator's ability to manage users and user configurations to all associated systems.
- It reduces administrative overhead in resetting forgotten passwords over multiple platforms and applications.
- It provides users with the convenience of having to remember only a single set of credentials.
- This also improves security as users find it easier to remember their credentials and do not have to write them down, allowing for a more efficient user logon process.
- It reduces the time taken by users to log into multiple applications and platforms.
What disadvantages exist when implementing single sign on technology?