I'm looking on a clear schema that would explain how a computer connect to an WiFi access point (WEP or WPA in any version (1,2)).
The basic schema would be :
- Computer looks which AP are available
- If one known is found, asks the AP for connecting to it
- AP answer by asking the password
- Computer sends the password
- If the password sent by the Computer is correct, AP grants access and give Computer an IP for this network.
This is a simple workflow, but I'm lacking information regarding :
- How the Computer identify the AP. Like if this AP hardware has changed but not the name, will it still be considered by the Computer as the same AP or a new one ?
- how the password is sent from the Computer to the AP. I seriously doubt it's sent in clear because that would mean that anyone listening could get the password. Is the AP sending the request for the password with it's public key, and the Computer returning the password encrypted using this public key ? is it something else ?
To be clearer, what I'm looking is an explained tutorial/howto on how the establishing connection between an WiFi hotspot and a user is made, including the type of encryption (if there is) prior the authentication (WEP/WPA) (some kind of HTTPS for WiFi to avoid sniffing?).
Thank you for helping me :)