Our client has a Windows workgroup LAN with a UNIX/Oracle database server. We want a tool which can log login/logout details of network users to the database server. The problem is that we can't access the database server, although that would have been the easier solution, due to some company policy.
Below are some features needed for the tool:
- LOG user login/logouts of network users( i.e. user name, ip address)
- No workstation installation.
- No domain only work group LAN
We considered the following options:
- A proxy server in front of the database server. All traffic to the database server will pass through the proxy. But how will the proxy will capture the network usernames of users trying to login? Any tool suggestion?
- Switch port monitoring. But it will capture only the IP addresses of the users. How to capture the usernames/details?
Please suggest any tool or any other solution.