Information Security Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for information security professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Quite recently someone had maliciously stolen my pictures and created a fake Facebook and Instagram in my name, with abusive captions under my pictures. However, with the advice from the police, I had contacted Facebook and Instagram and they had closed down the fake accounts.

Now the problem is how can the police track the IP address of the user behind the fake accounts? Is there any way of tracking down these IP addresses of these accounts?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by AJ Henderson, Adi, Xander, Antony Vennard, TildalWave Aug 13 '13 at 22:12

  • This question does not appear to be about Information security within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I am not a lawyer, but it doesn't sound like any crime was committed, so the police aren't going to be able to help you. You can talk to a lawyer in your jurisdiction to be sure if any laws apply in this case, but if you publicly posted pictures, then they didn't steal anything by using them unless you had copyright notices posted with the images.

If a crime actually was committed, a lawyer would be able to help you to get it pursued. The police would then have to subpoena Facebook for the IP addresses of the account and then the ISP that those IP addresses belong to can be subpoena'd to get the user's information, but those both will require an actual crime to have been committed.

Such fake accounts are against the Terms of Service for Facebook however, so contacting them about it should get the accounts taken down. That is just because of Facebook's policies though, not some legal reason.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.