Take the 2-minute tour ×
Information Security Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Information security professionals. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

Just a small question: I know it is common for one to use asymmetric encryption in order to encrypt his private key, when using symmetric encryption. Is there a name for this process/method of encryption?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Adnan, Xander, Noordung, bethlakshmi, Scott Pack Dec 14 '13 at 2:38

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Why would you do a asymmetric encryption of your private key ? Unable to understand your question can u please rephrase –  Arun Dec 13 '13 at 13:49
@Arun: The "private key" up there refers to the symmetric key. –  Jan Schejbal Dec 13 '13 at 14:10

1 Answer 1

It's usually called hybrid encryption. However, sometimes this is referred to simply by mentioning the asymmetric part - e.g. "encrypting a file with an RSA key" usually means the file will be encrypted with AES or some other symmetric cipher, then the key will be encrypted with RSA.

share|improve this answer
thanks for the fast reply :) –  Michael Dec 13 '13 at 13:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.