One of my mate, she has a lot of friends on Facebook, uses it for marketing.
Her account keeps getting broken into. Her password gets reset and/or gets locked for changing resetting password too many times.
So basically, what happens is this one user/virus/trojan whatever somehow manages to request a password reset. And then they add their own email address to the account.
As far as I can tell, that user has not posted anything on Facebook nor have they messaged anyone. So their purpose is unknown.
What we've done to recover from this hasn't help:
- Changed email address to something completely new and unguessable. Removed all the current email addresses. So they can't use those email addresses to run through recovery again.
- Removed the phone number.
- Changed security questions.
- Enabled HTTPS only.
- Changed password to something generated using a random password generator.
- Reset password on the email address she uses (its a gmail account).
- Completely wiped her laptop which had Windows Vista and installed Windows 7.
- Asked her not to use any of the PC's at work to log into Facebook.
- Removed any facebook apps that I don't recognise, or is not needed.
I'm completely stumped at how this keeps happening.
I don't think its a "person", probably a virus of some kind. Which is why I wiped the computer she uses. But, now I'm not so sure.
EDIT: Removed all fb apps part added to list