One of my friends, she has a lot of friends on Facebook, and uses it for marketing.
Her account keeps getting broken into. Her password gets reset and/or gets locked for changing resetting password too many times.
So basically, what happens is this one user/virus/trojan whatever somehow manages to request a password reset. Then it adds its own email address to the account.
As far as I can tell, that user has not posted anything on Facebook nor have they messaged anyone. So their purpose is unknown.
What we've done to recover from this hasn't helped. We tried:
- Changing the email address to something completely new and unguessable. We also removed all the current email addresses so they can't use those addresses to run through recovery again.
- Removing the phone number.
- Changing security questions.
- Enabling HTTPS only.
- Changing password to something generated using a random password generator.
- Reseting the password on the email address she uses (it's a Gmail account).
- Completely wiping her laptop which had Windows Vista and installing Windows 7.
- Asking her not to use any of the PC's at work to log into Facebook.
- Removing any Facebook apps that I don't recognize, or aren't needed.
I'm completely stumped at how this keeps happening.
I don't think its a "person"; it's probably a virus of some kind. Which is why I wiped the computer she uses. Now, though, I'm not so sure.
EDIT: Removed all FB apps part added to list