Meltdown and Spectre VulnerabilitiesAttacks
Canonical question regarding the 2018 Jan. disclosed Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilitiesAttacks. Other identical or significantly similar questions should be closed as a duplicate of this one.
- What is speculative execution and what does it do?
- What is the difference between Meltdown and Spectre?
- How does Meltdown work?
- How does Spectre work?
- How do I protect myself?
- Is the KPTI/KAISER patch sufficient to protect my computer?
- The patch is claimed to induce a loss of performance; is it true? How much does this mean?
- Can/should I disable the new patch if I'm worried about performance losses? What are the risks?
- Which platforms and CPUs are vulnerable?
- I'm running a virtual machine/containers; to what extent am I vulnerable?
- Can I detect a Meltdown/Spectre attack on my computer?
- Are these attacks remote code execution vulnerabilities?
- Do I need to patch my software/website?
- Can I be affected while visiting a website?
- Can you explain this with an image?