We were designing a web application which has the functionality similar to vulnerability management, our web application functionality can be briefed as follows:
- There is a panel where one can launch a program for listing vulnerabilities
- Bob launches his program through our web application
- Alice reports the vulnerability with malicious file
- Bob receives report with malicious file and gets a warning stating that download might have relative consequences
- Bob downloads the malicious file and fall as victim for Alice
Now as per functionality/usability my developer argues that.
We can allow malicious file upload to the application as its core feature of the application (Alice will upload vulnerable file as proof of concept)
We were showing warning message, its enough to prevent users from downloading malicious file, since all users would be tech-savy
Now my argument was as follows:
- Attacker can user this platform to social engineer the response team (here Bob would get infected)
- As a responsible vendor, the clients will trust us and download the file
- Also I referred unrestricted file upload
So considering above situation what would be the best bet to prevent my clients from being fallen as victim for attackers.