I'm not a company and do not represent one, but I would like to have a green bar on my website for several reasons. One of them, for example, is that I want to ensure that the information displayed in the page is really from me, and any other reasons to ensure trust for anyone who's reading it. I know that these types of certificate are called Extended Validation Certificates. I googled how I could get one as a individual and I found this. It says here that I could get a OV. But it will not say if I'll get a green bar or so.

How can somebody, say, a journalist, get a green bar cerficate for its blog to ensure that its his real blog? How can a security analyst ensure that it's his website that people are visiting? How can someone ensure that a person is not visiting a URL thats similar to yours? How can I know that I'm not accessing for example googIe.com instead of google.com? (some URLs do really look alike when some letters are replaced by similar ones).

I can think of a lot of applications for this, in that they do not need to be a company but need to be trusted more than a simple automatically generated certificate.

  • 2
    OV certs won't do it. You need an EV. I believe you need to have some business, even a sole proprietorship, to get one. Jan 12, 2016 at 3:23

1 Answer 1


Refer to the guidelines set up by the CA/Browser forum for extended validation.

8.5.1 General

The CA MAY only issue EV Certificates to Applicants that meet the Private Organization, Government Entity,Business Entity and Non-Commercial Entity requirements specified below.

8.5.2 Private Organization Subjects An Applicant qualifies as a Private Organization if:

(1) The entity’s legal existence is created or recognized by a by a filing with (or an act of) the Incorporating or Registration Agency in its Jurisdiction of Incorporation or Registration (e.g., by issuance of a certificate of incorporation, registration number, etc.) or created or recognized by a Government Agency (e.g. under a charter, treaty, convention, or equivalent recognition instrument);

(2) The entity designated with the Incorporating or Registration Agency a Registered Agent, a Registered Office (as required under the laws of the Jurisdiction ofIncorporation or Registration), or an equivalent facility;

(3) The entity is not designated on the records of the Incorporating or Registration Agency by labels such as “inactive,” “invalid,” “not current,” or the equivalent;

(4) The entity has a verifiable physical existence and business presence;

(5) The entity’s Jurisdiction of Incorporation, Registration, Charter, or License, and/or its Place of Business is not in any country where the CA is prohibited from doing business or issuing a certificate by the laws of the CA’s jurisdiction; and

(6) The entity is not listed on any government denial list or prohibited list (e.g., trade embargo) under the laws of the CA’s jurisdiction.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.