Here are the steps I've been through until I hit a problem.
- I have a website that runs on an HTTPS protocol serving the Android application
- I generally debug requests / responses via Wireshark running on Windows operating system.
- I requested the private key to the server programmer so that I can attach it to Wireshark, but I didn't get it.
- I still needed to debug my app rather than copy-pasting
Log.d()all over my Android app.
- Downloaded an app called "SSL" in Google Playstore.
- It installs a "packet capture certificate" (which Android is pretty suspicious of because it's a third-party certificate)
- Started capturing HTTPS packets that are decrypted
How can this actually work? This application obviously knows how to retrieve packets heading to other apps. But how can it decrypt the SSL? Or is it the other way around? Are the apps reporting the decrypted HTTP packets to this app?