I have a VPS (although I could easily upgrade to a dedicated server) which I use as a "poor man's VPN" by tunneling through it.
My aim is to improve this server so anyone attempting to track me has a hard a time as possible. Defeating the NSA would be nice, but it's realistically not possible, so as long as regular law enforcement (or adversaries with their capabilities) cannot track me I am satisfied.
My ideas are the following:
- Run as a Tor and i2p relay, also use freenet so there are always numerous connections making it hard to pinpoint who was using the server (a relay also keeps the IP address clean from black lists)
- Ensure all logging is off
- Full disk encrypt
- Have deep freeze (or a linux equivalent) enabled
- Run everything from RAM
- Randomly restart at times I am not using it
- Perhaps chain 3 different servers together using IPTables or something similar so it takes any investigators through 3 different countries
- Ensure offshore country with strong privacy laws, and countries which outright hate the country I am hiding from (so if USA then pick Russia etc)
- Pay anonymously with BTC
- Linux OS
- Regularly change servers
The server itself will be secured, updated software, SSH key with long password, nonstandard SSH port etc...
I am aware that even if company honestly keeps no logs their ISP most likely will, however hopefully with the above I can make it very difficult to discover which connection I was.
What else could I add to increase the anonymity of tracking me?