I have a VeraCrypt volume which I mistakenly restored header of the volume using the backup embedded in the volume itself. It says that this process also restores the old password if exist. But I have never changed my password. So I had no problem with password.

Result: I can open and mount the volume with my current password. But when I try to read contents I get: "Sorry, could not display all the contents of “veracrypt8”: Error when getting information for file '/media/veracrypt8/r?.0�': Input/output error"

When I use ls command in the volume directory, I get random names like in this screenshot: enter image description here

Is there any way to recover my data?

  • 1
    What tools exactly are you using? i.e. how do you perform the mount and what exact command you used to restore the header? – grochmal Sep 27 '16 at 19:40
  • You may have a problem with file ownership. Try a rw, set your uid and gid, then fmask and dmask to 0077 (or 0007 for group access). Also check the output from dmesg (last few line); it may tell you valuable info. – Overmind Sep 28 '16 at 5:16
  • @grochmal I am using Veracrypt 1.17 GUI for everything. Never used terminal. From GUI, volume tools > restore header – ferit Sep 28 '16 at 12:52
  • @Overmind Can you explain or give me a link that explains that process? I have never done it. – ferit Sep 28 '16 at 12:53
  • Your OS appear to be either some kind of Ubuntu/Mint or Fedora. It should have the cryptsetup utility (and if it hasn't it should be in the repos). One useful thing that cryptsetup can do it to print the content of the headers, i.e. with cryptsetup --veracrypt tcryptDump <volume>. That will give us useful info. Then instead of using the GUI, you can mount it with cryptsetup --verbose --veracrypt tcryptOpen <volume> <name> (you can assign whatever you like to <name>), that will also give useful info. – grochmal Sep 28 '16 at 20:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.