Is it possible my computer is part of a ddos network
It is very much possible that your machine may be a part of Botnet. And if you use to install software downloaded from internet, then chances are going to be high.
Is there anyway I can tell if this is so ?
- You can check the connections which are established from your machine.
You check this through
- If you are accessing the Internet through a proxy or firewall, then you can check the logs of the firewall (or a proxy) on daily basis and check if there are connections to Internet which looks suspicious ( connections like going to external server over port 53; or chargen packets or large number of packets to some IP/Server).
- You can also check the usage (bandwidth and number of connections) of your; especially at the time when you was not logged-in to the machine.
Best ways to protect you from being a part of Botnet:
- Install a genuine copy of Antivirus and keep the signatures updated
- Keep your host OS updated and patched
- Switch off the machine when not in use (if it not a server)