It is interesting to read about the random number generation problems in the last USA conscription. If, for the same purpose, we need a random permutation of the 366 birthdays, what should the president do in the future?
It would be nice if the average Joe did not need to trust any people, but that can get expensive, and at the end of the day, there always seems to be some trust involved. There are many other important factors, but listing them all is difficult and actually clouds the problem, so I'd simply like to know what you would ultimately want done in your country.
Some potential options:
- Televise (with live witnesses) same drum selection method used in 1970
- Using #3 below for the loading order to generalize the 1970 method
- Televise (with live witnesses) repeated machine-rolling of dice
- E.g., rolling four distinguishable dice gives 1296 outcomes (366*3+198, so most outcomes specify the first birthday for the sequence while 198 outcomes cause a redo, and so forth; this is my personal trusted favorite despite being ugly and being hard for Joe to understand)
- Summing random numbers from separate trustworthy people/companies
- Cryptographic generation where anyone can contribute a seed
- Details are important (I worry about DDoS attacks and, depending on Joe, cryptographic methods can be hard to trust, and can even be mistaken)
- Your idea (I'd rather hear new proposals than problems with my options)
The correct answer I choose here will simply be the method I feel is best for the country. #1 above might win in the end. I don't need to reinvent the wheel.