My ISP gives instructions how to connect to its POP3 and SMTP email servers:
These settings will help you to set up your email program.
- email server: POP3
- POP server (incoming): pop.orangehome.co.uk
POP incoming port: 110
SMTP server (outgoing): smtp.orangehome.co.uk
- outgoing SMTP port: 25
- use secure connection (Secure Sockets Layer or SSL): no
- authentication: none
As I understand, these settings imply the connection won't be secured with SSL/TLS:
- IMAP uses port 143, but SSL/TLS encrypted IMAP uses port 993.
- POP uses port 110, but SSL/TLS encrypted POP uses port 995.
- SMTP uses port 25, but SSL/TLS encrypted SMTP uses port 465.
Is there a risk to sending and receiving emails via without a secure SSL/TLS connection? Should I be concerned? What could happen?