As I am using an old (10-15 years) SIM-card, I was asking myself if the hardware and software on the sim-card is equivalent to the newer sim-cards.
Are the old-sim-cards (10-15years) the same as the new ones ?
Are usim-cards already in use ?
As Example the encryption, how to know if my card supports A5/1 or A5/3 ?
• A stream cipher known as the A5 algorithm.
– A5/0: no encryption.
– A5/1: original A5 algorithm used in Europe.
– A5/2: weaker encryption algorithm created for export, in
– A5/3: strong encryption algorithm created as part of the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP)
Does some People (scriptkiddies-criminals...) be able to these Threats ?
Threats to SIM Data
• GSM SIMs can be cloned because authentication protocol has flaw
–COMP128 is popular algorithm and a published standard
• Leaks information at every connect attempt.
• Chosen-plaintext attack
–Approximately 150,000 queries required takes about 8-11 hours with a suitable smart card reader