Elaborating from this question : Bluetooth/WiFi Identity tracking in public spaces - How to discover?
How are they tracking me :
- From a hardware perspective
- Is it a mac address that they are getting from my device by blasting wifi
- From a software perspective
- I assume they are using some sort of wifi based triangulation
- How is it legal?
- Is it because it is public space?
Background if Unfamiliar
Researchers Piotr Sapiezynski, Arkadiusz Stopczynski, Radu Gatej and Sune Lehmann point out that "large companies such as Google, Apple, Microsoft, or Skyhook, combine Wi-Fi access points with GPS data to improve positioning, a practice known as 'wardriving'." The actual "how" is "proprietary to large companies."
I know very little about this subject and would like to learn more. I do know that it was such a large issue in NYC that the ALCU stepped in: