Can iOS apps read the RAM contents/cache/data of any other arbitrary app? Assume that the following conditions applies:
- The device is using only official iOS (no hacks or "jailbreaking")
- Obviously (due to the above conditions), all apps are downloaded and approved/signed by the App Store
- None of the apps are using exploits (or all known exploits have been patched) and programmer API restrictions are working as intended
- No other app on the device has been specifically set up to communicate with the app that wants to read the data
Context: preventing apps from snooping on each other. In particular, could a malicious app that somehow got through screening read RAM contents from every other app and harvest login cookies or personal information?
According to the Apple developer docs it appears that apps are sandboxed to prevent this from happening; apps that want to share data have to be specifically set up for it (?).
Searching on Google only turned up 2 Q&A's:
- Can someone read a iOS class variable from outside the app?
- Read data from other app's memory, is it challenging on a jailbroken device?
both of which only discuss the topic in the context of using a developer kit or jailbroken devices, neither of which are on topic in this question.