I want to study cyber security in the future, but before I can do that I believe that I have to study one of the following educational programs:

  • Network Administrator
  • Application Developer
  • IT Administrator

Which of these programs is fundamental for a penetration tester?

closed as primarily opinion-based by Anders, Steffen Ullrich, ThoriumBR, ISMSDEV, Serge Ballesta Nov 21 '17 at 15:00

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


Which of these programs is the fundament for a penetration tester ?

It depends what type of penetration tester but in general - All.

As a penetration tester it is your job to know all about the whole stack from the down up.

But if I would have to choose one to get started on I think that studying IT Administrator will provide you with a little of everything allowing you to get a basic concept of what you will be working with as a penetration tester.

  • 1
    Would you say that networking is more important then an application developer ? ( I've already got the IT basics) – r.etestreak Nov 21 '17 at 10:59
  • 1
    Good point about what kind of tester. You can definitely go down a rabbit hole there with testing application security vs the security of the network. – baldPrussian Nov 21 '17 at 12:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.