I'm studying and preparing a document for implementing an online voting system (internet based system) which can be used for governmental voting purposes. I would like to ask for your advise and suggestions regarding threats, weaknesses, risks and challenges that such a system can have. If you are not agree for using of such systems, it would be great to have your comments as well. Also please let me know about related articles / blog posts. :)
Question: What are the risks / challenges that might affect system's reliability and user's trust?
For clarifications of question I see following items as a matter of threats, weaknesses, risks or challenges which should be cared and considered. I'm not sure if it is a complete list:
- Data Security (Application Layer)
- Physical Security (Data Center Security)
- Personnel Security
- Identity Validation, Verification and Authentication
Basic requirements are:
- People can vote only one time.
- Votes must be confidential and no one should be able to find about who voted for what.
Related / similar projects:
- Smartmatic: https://www.smartmatic.com
- Scytl Secure Electronic Voting, S.A: https://www.scytl.com/en/
- Polyas: https://www.polyas.com
- Intelivote: http://www.intelivote.com
I found a question asked about 5 years ago about the possibility of Online Government Elections System. I believe it is possible now and also most of the challenges mentioned there still are valid but I'm wondering if there is any changes from then and if the vision for the future is still same. Online Government Elections System - Is it possible?