Ethical Hacking is a long-term study, you need to improve your skills on daily basis, and keep up-to-date with latest techs.
This is not a guide that you have to follow, but most of these ideas should help you:
- Maintain a perfect coding knowledge, improve your coding skills in programming languages that is used by developing "hacking" tools, such as Python, C, Perl.
- Work on a real-world examples, but try not to do harm, there's plenty of sites that's made vulnerable on purpose, try on them!
- Keep your Networking knowledge at its best, IPs, masks, routing, ... etc. You need to know all of that to become a better Ethical Hacker
- Take some courses, like CEH EC-Council, you need to know the full track of becoming a professional, some of the steps are basic and boring, but it's an educational track.
- Find any job in a networking field, it doesn't have to be in a security field. This will help you encounter the problems in a best way.
There's a lot in the way of Ethical Hacking, keep an aye of the level you want to be in. Some people focus on networking level, while others interested in web-level applications, after all there are many levels of security flaws, each needs a specialist in that level!
For example, you'll need a good database knowledge in order to exploit a flaw in some database server, or even to find the flaw!
Keep listening to security news, read hacking articles, and make it a habit. After all, you won't be benefit of Ethical Hacking unless you find a job in a security position in some company, and walk your way through it!