There are "Average Joes" answers here for "Full disk encryption vs home folder encryption".
I have three use cases in the frame of professional activities with customers wanting their data secured:
- Laptop for sales people (with data such as business strategy and opportunities, tenders, propositions, company economic data, etc)
- Workstations or laptops for developpers (with data such as customer project requirements and technical information, and all project deliveries)
- Workstations for staff (with data such as invoices, purchase orders, wages, etc)
Our main threats are :
- to be fired by our customers if we have security issues
- data leaks
- laptop stolen by unknown hands
What are the pros and cons for security experts who can for example on Linux:
- have a granular partition schema with encrypted partitions for
- audit all user applications to check where files are created and redirect them into
- want to maximize available performances
Is it relevant (answer per OS appreciated)? If not, what is missing? How much performance gain can be expected?