This question already has an answer here:
So today when I was checking my spam folder on my outlook account, I noticed I had received an email from my own address.
The email looks like a typical scam:
- Claims to have installed a RAT on my system
- Claims to have footage of me pleasuring myself
- Demands that I pay him money with the cryptocurrency DASH
According to haveibeenpwned, my email was found on the July 2018 Animoto breach.
I have never used this site. I have used a similar service called 'PowToon', but as far as I can tell, they aren't related.
I have already:
- Changed the password of my Microsoft account (and made sure 2FA is still active)
- Made sure there isn't any suspicious devices or login activity registered
- Ran a virus scan on my system (Nothing found)
At this point, I'm pretty sure this is just a spoofed email address, but I want to guarantee everything is alright.
This is the header of the email:
Am I safe? What other precautions should I take?