One form of social engineering is the practice of running up to a building's external door just as an employee is entering. The employee often holds the door open for the intruder, bypassing security systems (RFID systems, for example).

Is there a name for this specific practice?

  • It's not an exact duplicate, but it answers your question. As this is basically an English terminology question and the concept is well-known, I'm making this a duplicate of a question that also references what the term means.
    – schroeder
    Nov 17 '19 at 17:30

tailgating or piggybacking. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggybacking_(security)

  • 1
    According to that link, piggybacking implies consent by the person being followed, whereas tailgating doesn't. Not sure if it matters, but interesting. Nov 17 '19 at 15:01

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.