I'm working on improving the security of my own system by mitigating the chance sensitive information, (e.g. encryption keys) stored in RAM, are inadvertently written to disk. As of now I know of three common ways this can occur and how they could be mitigated:
- The contents of RAM are copied to hiberfil.sys when Windows Hibernates
- Solution: Disable Windows Hibernation
- Some contents of RAM are copied into the swap file.
- Solution: Encrypt the swap file.
- Memory Dumps during Windows Blue-screens.
- Solution: Disable memory dump file generation
Excluding these (as well as tools specifically designed to dump memory) are there any other reasons RAM could unintentionally be written to disk by the operating system?
I would really appreciate any help I could get!