I've had an unusual experience today. A phone number (not withdrawn number) texted me demanding to know who I was. Their tone was aggressive and I simply told them I don't know their number. When I asked how they got my number they told me I'd just phoned them, and backed that up with a screenshot showing a missed call from my mobile phone number calling moments ago.
Needless to say, I did not phone this unknown number, there's nothing in my call history.
I've tried googling my number to see if anyone else is getting cold calls from it, so far, no reports. I am concerned that someone's found a way to make calls from my phone number without my knowledge or consent.
- My mobile service is provided by EE in the UK
- My phone has been right by my side the whole time, nobody else here.
So here's the questions:
- Could someone have made calls from my number? If so, how can I guard against this?
- Are there sometimes random calls due to network issues?
- Could this be first contact for any known scams? Pretending to have received a call from someone?
Any information on this would be helpful. Thank you!