- fibre to the property is being installed in my road for the first time
- my landlord doesn't want lots of holes in their building
- they acknowledges that FttP is probably necessary going forward
So their solution is to have 1 package/contract installed in the lobby and then use a Mesh network to get it to the 4 flats.
My concerns are
- with 4 flats using it the password will be common knowledge
- whilst I can use a VPN for my phone/pc I can't for my printer, so either no network printing or anyone can access it
- if I forget to use my VPN or I need to use a site that doesn't allow VPN's then what are the risks?
- https sites should be fine?
- what about http?
- what about guests that don't have VPN's?
- no network storage(?)
- I want to set up a plex server at some point will this be insecure/even possible?
- will Alexa work? If so will other people be able to access it?
- who should be allowed access to the hub interface?
- my landlord lives 4 hours away so if it's just them then that's not ideal
- if it's all tenants then that's really insecure?
- VPN on anything that can, however there are many sites (netflix) that will kick you off if they detect a VPN
- use the wifi my landlord provides and make a new network?
- this should mean that printer/network storage work?
- what about Alexa?
- what about other devices that connect to WLAN?
If you were renting here would upgrading from 30Mbps phone line to 3Gbps FttP despite the security concerns and just do your best to mitigate them?