I am putting together a security presentation, and I would like statistics on the occurrence of and damages from security breaches. Does anyone know of a reliable, recently-updated source?
Key List of Resources (2015)
Statistics & Reports
- Data Breach Statistics by IBM
- Data Breach Investigation Reports by Verizon
- Data Breach Statistics and summary by ITRC
- Security Report by Cisco with industry-sorted statistics
- Application and Network Security Report by Radware
- Internet Security Statistics by Symantec
- Infrastructure Security Report by Arbor
- Security Intelligence Report by Microsoft
http://datalossdb.org/statistics - truly opensource and not marketing-driven data.
I'll add to this as I check for relevancy.
- FireEye + Mandiant
- Palo Alto Networks
- Krebs on Security
- An entire section of articles on data breaches.
- Charts with basic adjustment. Broken down by a few categories such as incidents, business types, data type. May require licensing.
- Breach Level Index
- Home tab has mass statistics, recency and global scope with useful search at the database tab.
- Top 5 Most Compromised Merchant Categories with summary spend
I did a presentation on the exact same thing last year. I found Zone-H.org to be a good source.
Edit: Sign up for an account to view most of the pages. (Registration is free)