I work at an IBM lab and there are some security policies that I do not understand the point of. When I ask why we do them my boss simply says it's policy and avoids answering the question.
- We must keep empty drawers locked
- When we leave work we must lock up writeable media
- We must lock any notes up and erase white boards. I don't get this one because someone during the day time could just as easily walk by and see something they are not supposed to.
- At meetings if we want to take notes, the notebooks have to be black and have hard covers.
- Health information is confidential to the extreme, for example even if a person's boss is sick they cannot give them any ETA on his/her return and can't even answer "is he/she getting better?"
I would really feel better given some reason, even if I don't necessarily agree with them. Any possible explanation is appreciated.