In the past I've heard about a scheme to prove your identity online in places like forums, without having to create an account.

When posting, the user would enter a password which is then heavily hashed and displayed publicly along with the post. This way the user can prove his identity between posts without having to create an account with a fixed name and password.

I'm not sure what to Google for. So far I've found the term "commitment scheme" on Wikipedia, but googling further on that, I can't find other places using it (though I'm sure there have to be some).

Does this kind of commitment scheme (publicizing a password hash) have a name?


Displaying a hash of nick and password to identify users is known as Tripcode.

There are different variants of this, sometimes the website operator adds a secret key, sometimes an expensive hash like PBKDF2 or bcrypt is used, sometimes the password is replaced by public key.

  • Etymology please... – Pacerier Jun 5 '14 at 23:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.