I have an Asp.net site. Which hosting system do I need to secure it adequately* against anyone reading private information that's on the server? This is assuming I'm not worried about the sysadmins getting it.
Note: Even if no one gets control of the site - the problem remains of reading the information.
Note 2: I am not asking about anyone hacking my site directly such as by sql injection. Rather by getting around the site, such as by using another account on the web host to get to my information.
- Is shared hosting enough?
- Do I need a VPS, and is it really any safer than shared?
- Or - Must I set up my own server, and appropriate ISP etc.? If so - will it actually be more secure - since I am no expert on the subject?
- Can Windows Azure be of help here?
If I am asking this incorrectly, such as addressing a moot point because of some "weaker link", etc. Please correct me.
* Yes, I know. "Adequately" is not an exact term. But any information from the experts (-that's you!) might be helpful: Can most Windows shared hosts be cracked (in the sense mentioned above) by any hacker in an hour? Or will an expert hacker have to dedicate a week for it? The security level needed here is not anywhere like that of financial institutions', I'm looking for "good enough".