Just a small question: I know it is common for one to use asymmetric encryption in order to encrypt his private key, when using symmetric encryption. Is there a name for this process/method of encryption?

  • 1
    Why would you do a asymmetric encryption of your private key ? Unable to understand your question can u please rephrase
    – Arun
    Dec 13, 2013 at 13:49
  • 1
    @Arun: The "private key" up there refers to the symmetric key. Dec 13, 2013 at 14:10

1 Answer 1


It's usually called hybrid encryption. However, sometimes this is referred to simply by mentioning the asymmetric part - e.g. "encrypting a file with an RSA key" usually means the file will be encrypted with AES or some other symmetric cipher, then the key will be encrypted with RSA.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .