I have used PCs for most of my life, and I am very aware of the fact that they can catch a variety of viruses. I have owned a MAC now for two years, and have enjoyed a pleasant (perhaps too pleasant) experience with it online. Lately, I have been hearing that MACs can become infected with viruses, which makes me wonder if I may have gained one. How would I know if I am infected?
I am assuming that the variety of viruses that you can get on a mac is far smaller than PC and that very specific activities and vulnerabilities fall within virus territory. Which of the following PC virus activities are currently seen in MACs:
- Infection via USB flash drive insertion
- Infection via auto-load CD/DVD
- Infection via file copy (any source)
- Infection via general browsing
- Infection via image viewing (web / email)
- Infection via email attachment opening
- Infection vial web page viewing
- Infection via network connectivity.