Currently the company I work for uses Sun Java System Web Server 6.1 SP9 and Java 1.4.2. I know this version of Java reached its EOSL around 2008. The Sun Server still seems to be supported but it's a headache to do real development on.
Can anyone provide some good [security or otherwise] reasons why this server should be upgraded? Keep in mind that this is an internal coprorate intranet server.
I am submitting a presentation to an IT review board requesting an IT project to upgrade but they require reasons other than it will make my coding easier. Since security is a high priority here, I was hoping to dig up some some security vulnerability.
Project approvals are also assessed and priotized based on some of these additional criteria.
- Is it required so we are in compliance with laws/regulations?
- Does it resolve any current business or security risks, and how?
- Does it increase profitability in one or more of the following ways?
- Reduce span time
- Optimize resources (labor or material reduction)
- Reduce overhead
- Standardization of Software or Hardware
- Does it ensure or enhance stability of our systems / infrastructure?
- Does it streamline a process?
- Does it support R&D or New Business?
- Will it aid in retaining and sharing knowledge?
- Will it aid in collaboration with customers, vendors, other business units?