I've been fiddling with the Windows firewall configuration of some computers within a VMWare based LAN (no domain). To aid in my testing and debugging, I created a small, self-hosted console application that will answer HTTP requests, an "answering machine" if you will, so that I can easily check connectivity between computers on a specific port.
I immediately got it all running fine using "Preshared keys" for First authentication (Connection Security Rules / Authentication / Advanced / Customize), but when attempting to switch to "Computer certificate from this certification authority", everything stops working.
I've tried the following:
- Creating my own CA and configured the firewall to use it on all computers.
- Configuring the firewall to use a Verisign CA on all computers.
- Created additional "allow all" in and outbound rules for the firewall.
- Calling the "answering machine" from both the host computer and another virtual machine.
- Tried with and without requiring authentication for outbound traffic.
- Tried specifying the port etcetera.
My feeling is that I'm somehow fundamentally backwards in this, so I have two questions:
- Is the certificate solution not possible with computers not connected to a domain (with enrollment etcetera)?
- If it should be possible, what am I missing?